Over time, your pearly whites will become discolored. From drinking coffee and wine to smoking and taking certain medication, a number of factors could lead to teeth discoloration. The good news is that you can do something about it.
You can start changing your lifestyle, by cutting back on the coffee and quitting cigarettes. You can also try over-the-counter whitening agents. And (this may be far more effective), you can try a procedure on teeth whitening NYC dentists can do a variety of teeth whitening procedures to restore the natural color of your teeth. With the right procedure, you can go from stained and yellow to dazzling and bright.
Of course, there is the aftercare required to maintain what the procedure has accomplished. You cannot just go and start smoking or drinking again soon after you leave your dentist’s clinic. Also, you’ve invested a lot in improving your appearance, so you don’t really want to lose it all in one go, do you?
Here are some guidelines — in addition to what your dentist may have prescribed — to maintaining your pearly whites after the teeth whitening procedure:
- Use the toothpaste and other at-home products your dentist has prescribed. Your dentist would know which toothpaste and other dental products would work, so trust in his knowledge.
- Stay away from drinking coffee, wine, or soda, and eating chocolates, red sauces, or anything that will stain your teeth for a minimum of 24 hours after the procedure.
- Follow good oral hygiene: Brush twice a day and floss the right way after every meal. If you have no access to your toothbrush and toothpaste, make sure to rinse your mouth with water after you have eaten. The longer food lingers in your mouth, the quicker it will stain your teeth. And then you will have wasted money on your procedure.
- It would also be a good idea to pack an antibacterial mouthwash when you are traveling.
- If you really cannot do without your coffee or tea, then you will need to drink through a straw, as this will allow the dark liquid to circumvent your teeth.
- Be diligent about the follow-up visits to your dentist’s clinic. Some patients may need to do a few more teeth whitening sessions than other patients. The number of sessions will depend on the discoloration of the teeth and the type of procedure involved.
Undergoing a teeth whitening procedure is one way to restore the glitter of your smile. So it is an investment — one you should take great care to maintain. Follow the necessary steps to ensure that your pearly whites stay white.